It was a beautiful Saturday and we headed west to an apple orchard. We forget that other than the city of Chicago, pretty much all there is in Illinois is field after field of corn, soy beans, and some apple orchards and pumpkin farms. We had a blast doing all kinds of fun things at the orchard including eating caramel apples and apple cider donuts and much more.

Does this picture remind you of The Incredible Shrinking Woman movie? Do you remember that movie? I was cracking up when I saw this picture. We look ridiculously small and strange!

Fun belly slide!

This "no left turn maze" was fun for Brett and I. The kids didn't quite get it and were getting frustrated.

This was one of my favorite things. It was a silo filled with corn. After watching the kids play, I decided to join them in the corn. It felt really weird and cool. Not a fan of sand boxes, but it was like a sand box but it didn't stick to you.

Children of the corn!

I helped Maddi bury her legs in corn. So much more fun than burrying someone in sand if you ask me. I don't know, after seeing so much corn I don't feel like I want popcorn or corn on the cob for a while.

Cade in the corn.

Brett helping Cade pump the water to send the duck down the chute to Maddi. They played at the water thing for a while pumping water sending the duck back and forth to each other.

An old schoolhouse barn with a slide coming out the side.

One of the kids favorite things was riding the apple train. A tractor pulled them around and drove them in circles and zig zagged along by the apple trees.

The sun was so bright...not a great picture, but it was a cute setting for a photo. After the picture we went through the corn maze. The camera battery was dying and I wanted to save some battery for apple picking pictures, so no pics from the maze. It was a HUGE maze. They gave us a map with the maze to help us find our way. I wanted to wing it and just have fun with it. Brett wanted to be the engi-nerd that he is and follow the map to a tee and not take a chance of getting lost. Of course if we did it my way, we'd get lost and I wouldn't really care and eventually we'd find our way out. But Brett convinced us that it was such a big maze and we were already worn out and hot and it would be better to use the map. It was still fun following the map, but it's just not as fun as getting lost and doing it your own way. Brett and I realized that's just the way we are...we each take our own paths to get to the same place. Brett's is usually a straight, narrow, and efficient path and mine, well...not so much!

Picking the apples was fun. They had a schedule of what types were ripe and there were ribbons on the aisles we could pick from. We'd pick an apple and taste it to see if we liked the flavor and then we'd pick the apples we wanted. I was really hoping Cade's front tooth would fall out after biting into so many apples. No such luck. That funky tooth is still hanging funky in his mouth!

Both of the kids had a great time picking the perfect apples and were quite proud of the ones they picked. After tasting quite a few apples and eating several apple cider donuts and a caramel apple, we were appled out and headed home. Maddi is going to help me make apple bread this week. mmmm....

Brett and I were waiting for the kids to ride the apple train ride one last time before heading home and we decided to cool off in the shade of an apple tree. It's so nice that the kids are big enough to wait in line themselves and get on and off the ride themselves and we can sit back and watch!

When we got home from the apple orchard, I mentioned to Brett that I'd like to move a tree from the front to the back. As if he wasn't worn out enough from the day he grabbed his shovel and started digging it up and he and Maddi dug a hole for it out back. Brett tried getting Cade to help, but he wanted nothing to do with it. Maddi loved every minute of it. It was a fun bonding experience for daddy and Maddi.
No comments:
Post a Comment