Monday, October 13, 2008

The Last Week

This post is a recap of the last week or so. Last Tuesday the kids got out of school early for some reason. We took Maddi for her allergy shots and then went to McDonald's to celebrate how well Maddi and Cade are doing in school and also for them being so good with all their doctors visits lately. Last week Maddi and Cade were swabbed twice for strep throat (once for the rapid test and again to send off for a culture) and they were both negative. There is a virus going around causing strep like symptoms with tummy aches and horribly sore throats. Cade had his flu shot and second dose of the Hep A vaccine at his 6 year old well visit. Maddi had her flu shot and 4 allergy shots. I also got a flu shot and Brett got 4 shots for his trip to China. Whew! We sure do spend a lot of time and money at the doctors office. Nothing like a little ice cream and McDonald's to make every one feel better.


Saturday we went to the St. Charles Scarecrow Festival. We didn't get to stay long, but long enough to get in our favorite things like the scarecrow contest. It's always fun to see how creative people are with their scarecrows. Here are some of our favorites:
Cade liked the football player scrarecrows. By the way...they won their playoff game Sunday in the last 2 seconds. It was very exciting. I was so happy for the kids, especially the kids from last years team who never won a game all season long. I was also not so happy that we now have another week of practice and another game this weekend. It is fun for Cade to experience the excitment of being in the playoffs and winning.

This was a cute one of Rapunzel. I think a hair salon entered this one. Cute idea.


Maddi Girl and her crafts! She was making a princess crown at the story time tent. Notice the face painting she had her on her hand too. She had a heart shaped pumpkin painted on her hand. Cade didn't make the crown or get face painting. Just not his things.

The warewolf scarecrow was pretty cute too. Maddi and I wanted Cade to be a warewolf for Halloween but Cade didn't want to wear the mask. He decided on Indiana Jones for Halloween since there is not a mask. It was not easy finding an Idiana Jones costume, but we did. Then we were on the search for the whip. I wasn't sure that I could trust him with the whip but told him if he uses the whip on anyone I'm using the whip on him. :) Maddi is going to be Gabriella from High School Musical. She has a wig and everything and is very excited since she's "in love" with Troy from High School Musical who happens to be Gabriella's boyfriend. That girl is so boy crazy, I tell you.

After seeing all the scarecrows the kids painted a pumpkin. Then Brett and I got to carry around pumpkins covered with wet glitter glue. Fun stuff.


Cade was hanging with dad while Maddi was doing her crown craft. At this point he was losing his patience and begging for a snack. We told him we were about to leave when Maddi was done and stop for Sonic on the way home. I think I blogged about how the new Sonic here made the front page of the Chicago Tribune. So we drove up to get us some good ol Sonic and were promptly shown the line of cars to wait in that was probably about 30-45 minutes long. Seriously people, it's Sonic....imagine if we had a Chick Fil A here. People would go crazy for it, or at least I would! We didn't wait and had something else instead.
The rest of the weekend was filled with Maddi's solo practice, more dance on Sunday (one of the five weekends all year that she has dance. So nice to have some family time and not have dance every weekend this year), Cade's football game, ice cream with friends to plan our Aggie football game trip, watching Mrs. Doubtfire, and packing Brett for China.
Monday the kids were out of school for Columbus Day. Maddi was not so happy about Brett leaving for China and was getting in the last of her cuddles from Dad. It was quite a scene when he left with lots and lots of crying. Then we went to watch Beverly Hills Chihuahua with some friends. It was a really cute movie and not just about foo foo dogs. It was fun to have a day off from school. Love that Christopher Columbus!







No comments: