Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year & Helping St. Judes


New Year's Eve Day started out with the kids doing something good for others. When Maddi and Cade were playing with friends on Wednesday, they decided they wanted to have a hot chocolate stand and they wanted to donate the money they raised to St. Judes Children's Hospital. How could you say no to raising money for that???

Don't you love the sign? I had to go to the store anyway to get things for our new years party so we got things for the hot cocoa stand too. The kids had made a list for me and it had cups with lids, marshmallows, and 3 jars of cocoa. They figured they needed 3 jars of cocoa to make 123 cups of cocoa. I told them one jar would be more than enough because I wasn't sure how many customers they would have.

The kids made 3 snow slides for the kids to slide down for free after buying their cocoa. Calley was getting on the mailbox to show me how one slide worked.

Here's Maddi demonstrating a slide too.

She kept falling off the sled as she went down the tiny little slide, not sure how that happened. After about 2 or 3 hours the kids raised $29.50 for St. Judes. They charged 50 cents/cup but several people donated more than that. They said they were gonna charge their friends 10 cents/cup. So funny. I am so proud of Maddi, Abbey, Cade and Calley for thinking of others. They've heard of St. Jude from school and my kids talk about it a lot. The kids want to write a letter with their donation to tell them how they raised the money. Great way to start the new year!

Later on New Year's Eve, we had two families over for some pizza, Wii and hanging out. Maddi was playing Mario Kart and Grace was cheering her on.

Jack playing Mario Kart.

Dave and Nolan having some snacks.

Ellie is our next door neighbor who is 6 months older than Emalyn. She used to look so little to me, but now she looks so big compared to Emalyn. Ellie looks at Emalyn in such a curious way, especially if Emma cries. Emalyn was cooing and smiling at Ellie. I just wonder what goes through babies heads. They will be great friends, I'm sure.

We celelbrated the new year at 7:00 and had cookie cake. The party was over after 9:00 so the kids could get some sleep. Brett and I were in bed after 10:30 but I did see midnight...I heard some noises and woke up to hear fireworks and looked at the clock to see it was 12:03.

2009 was a fun year full of good changes and many blessings for our family. Maddi is doing so great with her skin, school and emotions. Brett has a wonderful new job. We have a beautiful and happy baby girl. We all have good health and we have wonderful family and friends. Can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for us!

No comments: