Sunday, July 27, 2008

Another Whirlwind Weekend

Friday afternoon Cade was teaching Jack everything you could ever need to know about Legos. Cade and Jack have both grown up so much since we first moved here. They are two years apart and Cade didn't want to have anything to do with Jack because he was a "baby". Cade was not fond of younger kids but as he's grown and matured he's realized younger kids can be a lot of fun. I guess Jack was kind of a baby since he was 2 when we met him and now he's almost 4 so that makes a big difference. The scary thing is Jack and Cade are so much alike and have a love for life and don't mind getting in a little trouble if it means they had fun to get in the trouble. I know it's only a year or two before Jack and Cade are cooking up crazy and exciting shenanigans. Jack and Grace live next door to us so it's nice to have kids to play with so close by.
Grace and Maddi gave each other extreme makeovers. They fixed each other's hair with 12 ponies in it. Then they put tons of glitter all over and I painted their nails 10 different shades of pinks and reds topped with glitter of course. Friday night Maddi, Cade, and Grace went to the clubhouse in our neighborhood for kids movie night. Brett and I went to see the new Will Farrell movie, Stepbrothers, while the kids were at their movie. I totally wasn't looking forward to it because I knew it would be so stupid but I must admit that it was stupid, but it was very funny. Gross, yes, but funny.


Saturday we had to make good on a promise to Maddi. She has eczema and it has been really bad this summer. Her skin gets worse in the spring and summer because she is allergic pretty much to the air, I guess. When her skin is covered in long sleeves and pants, the eczema isn't so bad. This summer she has been so itchy that she'll scratch herself until it bleeds. She has been begging for a cell phone and even carried around Brett's old one for a while to show she was responsible enough to have one. So we told her if she can stop scratching for a week then we would get her a phone. I know what it's like to have mosquito bites and how itchy that can be and that is what she feels all the time with her eczema flared up. She's only 7 and it takes extreme self control not to itch and scratch so she has been pretending to text message when she feels like scratching. She was good about not scratching so we upheld our end of the bargain and got her the phone. So when she wants to scratch, she'll send a text message or call a friend or family. We added her to our family plan and the phone was pretty much free and she's practicing her spelling and reading with texting so it's not that bad of a deal. Crazy thing is that she actually has friends with cell phones too so she can call them and text other 7 year olds.
After getting the phone we headed back to the Family Fun Center that the kids and I went to a week or two ago. They got passes from the library so we saved some of them so that they could have fun with Brett too. We got the bumper boats all to ourselves and we had a lot of fun.

Then it was off to the go-kart races. Brett and Cade had the speedy car and they beat Maddi and I big time. It was still fun even though we lost the race.

After the Family Fun Center we went for pizza and then ice cream and then played at the park. Sunday Brett took Cade to get cleats, socks, pads, and other fun things for football. Monday night at 5:30 is Cade's first football practice. They only wear helmets for the first 3 days. He's starting to get really nervous and isn't so sure he wants to play. Hopefully practice will go well and his fears will be eased. He has been talking about wanting to be a football player for so long so hopefullly he's not dissappointed. He asked me if they will get a snack after practice like they do after a basketball/soccer/baseball game. I told him his mommy will certainly bring him a snack.



1 comment:

Tracie said...

what? no lemonade stand? how did you get out of that one? :-)