Monday, September 14, 2009

Cakes

Lately we've had a coughing choir from Maddi and Cade. They both have had bad asthma coughs and Maddi had vomiting and fever with hers this past weekend. I kept her home from school Monday and she seems to be fine now so hopefully she's kicked the fever and will be feeling better soon. I was beginning to wonder if it was the dreaded "swine flu". Since she was home and feeling fine we decided to have a test run for her birthday party. She wants to have a crafting/baking party so I wanted to see how many cakes a cake mix would make and how long it would take from making the batter to baking to the cake cooling off enough to be iced. We made 2 cakes from one mix and then we decided to decorate them for Brett to celebrate his new job.

Maddi and Cade creating their masterpieces.

In case you can't tell, Cade wrote "DAD" in red icing. It has so many sprinkles and icing that it makes my stomach hurt looking at it.

Maddi was having a great time using the icing writer.

Final product reads "Good Job".

They are very excited about Brett coming home to see his surprise cakes. Brett accepted a job today as a General Manager for a company that he is really excited about working for. His job that we moved here for has been less than enjoyable and continues to get worse so he is thrilled to be taking on a new challenge with a different company. No more calls in the middle of the night from China because this company is only in the US and all of his plants are in the Chicago area. The President of his company called today to tell him how excited he was that Brett accepted their offer and he called home instead of Brett's cell so I got to talk with him. We talked for a bit and then he apologized for calling in the middle of the day and I said "It's no problem at all, I'm just cleaning out the craft cabinet". As soon as I said that I wanted to wish those words away. Why couldn't I have said "I'm home with a sick child" or something/anything else? I guess I sounded like June Cleaver and I should have mentioned I was working on our 5 course dinner and polishing the silver. Yeah, right...I don't even do crafts and the whole reason I was cleaning it out is because Maddi had gotten a basket of stuff out and the whole thing avalanched onto the floor. Anyway, we are all excited about Brett's new position, it's really an answer to prayer. He'll start October 1st so he'll get a few weeks under his belt before baby arrives.