We ate a yummy lunch at Corner Bakery and then made our way to catch the boat. Grammy and Maddi chilling on the bench waiting to board. We didn't realize how many steps there were to get down to the river. There was an elevator for part of it, but Grammy had to take the stairs the rest of the way. Thankfully, she did ok and didn't fall :)
Me and my baby boy. We were first in line to board the boat!
On the boat and ready for some fun. The kids have been wanting to ride a boat and Emma was very excited about riding a boat too.
As much as I want to move back to Texas, I have to say that I will miss Chicago and doing fun things like this, if or when we ever do get back to Texas. It was a gorgeous sunny day with a high in the upper 70s.
I think Daddy went over to make sure that Maddi had a good hold on Emma so she didn't take a swim in the Chicago river.
Maddi and Cade seem to be listening intently to the tour guide while Emma is cheesing it up for the camera. Ha!
One of my favorite building in Chicago with the round parking garage. The tour guide said the condos are pie shape inside. Weird.
Cookie time! We bought cookies at Corner Bakery and saved them for the tour. About 5 minutes into the tour, the kids were already asking for their cookies. They are just like their mommy, I guess. I have been craving another monster cookie from there. It was soooo good!
One of the draw bridges opening. We got stuck in traffic on the way into the city because they were opening one of the bridges to let a big sailboat through.
I've done the river cruise a few times, but this time we went into the locks and out into the lake as well. It was pretty cool to see how the locks work, I could never really wrap my head around it. We had a good view of Navy Pier and the city as we waited in the locks.
This lighthouse has a funny story. I was asking the kids later that night if they learned anything from our tour and they both said they learned a lot. I asked their favorite thing they learned, and Maddi said she liked hearing how people used to run around naked at the lighthouse. So the story is that the Navy used to run the lighthouse but realized they could rent it to civilians for $1.00/month and they could run the lighthouse. It worked well until one of the tenants liked to have parties out there and that was fine until the people started running around the lighthouse naked during the parties. Then the military decided not to rent the lightouse out anymore. Of all the things we learned, that stuck out to Maddi. So funny. She was also amazed that someone could live there for only $12.00/year. I can't remember what Cade learned now but I know it was something more educational. lol
Not a great picture, but one of the only ones with Grammy on the boat.
Me with my cookie and Emma thinking about taking a nap. She didn't nap and really did well considering the tour was during her nap time and lasted 2 hours.
A very pretty city.
I wonder what Cade was thinking...
Pretty Maddi girl.
The crazy McDonald crew once we got back to the dock. Our tour guide was very interesting and I wish I remembered even half of what he told us. He just graduated with his Masters in History with an emphasis in Chicago History so he had some good architecture information but also some good history lessons. I'm not much for history, but he made it very interesting.
After the cruise, we stayed at street level to get back to our car. Emma talked her Bubba and Sissy into doing 1, 2, 3 jump with her! She really is one lucky little girl. We were going to go to the shore of Lake Michigan to one of the beaches, but decided to head back home to avoid rush hour traffic. After we got home, we went to the pool for a bit and then called it a day. It was a fun afternoon making memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment