Leave it my 5 year old son to teach me a new lesson.... Yesterday I was on the phone and Cade was asking me to replace the batteries in one of his remote control cars. I told him to wait until I got off the phone. So Cade went to the junk drawer and got out all of our batteries so when I got off I could quickly change the batteries out. Well, I kept chatting on the phone and Cade was bored and decided to open 2 packages of 9 volt batteries and connected them together. No, I wasn't paying attention to my child, but even if I had been watching him I would not have known that batteries should not be connected.
When I finally got off the phone I sat down to change the batteries. The remote part needed a 9 volt, so I grabbed one and realized that it was connected to another one and felt a burning sensation in my hand. I immediately dropped the batteries and then realized I was burned by batteries transferring heat to each other (I'm sure there is a scientific term for what happened but I must have been day dreaming during that lesson in science or physics or whatever). Then I see that one set of batteries was hot enough that the carpet was melting under them. I never knew carpet could melt! I used a towel to disconnect the batteries and then placed them on the towel to cool off and prevent further carpet melting. An hour later the batteries were still hot. Who knew!?! The irony of it all is that the fire department was at Cade's school yesterday talking about fire safety. I think I need to contact the fire department to have them add don't play with batteries to the list of fire safety.
Never a dull moment around our house.
No comments:
Post a Comment