Sunday, October 14, 2007

We've been "Boo'd"

We woke up to find treat bags on the front porch with a note that we've been boo'd. The kids are showing off their vampire teeth in this photo. And yes, they are wearing footy pajamas. It's been getting in the upper 30s and 40s at night, so we're busting out the warm pjs.

We've never heard of getting boo'd. I'm thinking it's a northern/midwest thing. You get a note and a Halloween treat at your door. You make 2 copies of the note and then put your note in the window that shows you've been boo'd. You make treat bags with the note for 2 houses and secretly leave them on their doorstep. The kids thought it was really cool and they loved their treats. Now we are on a mission to find out who boo'd us. It's fun to look around the neighborhood to see who has and hasn't been boo'd yet. The kids loved making treats for some of their friends and then leaving the bags on the doorstep and running off. One of the families we boo'd already figured it out that it was us. Cade would have told his friend at school tomorrow anyway, I'm sure.

Has anyone down south ever heard of this? At Target, Walmart and Michael's today I saw boo bags and kits to boo others. Do they have those things at those stores down there? Sometimes I feel like we are in another country. I also heard that kids start trick-or-treating after school gets out, from like 4-6pm. I guess they can because it gets so dark here so early. Erin, I haven't checked the paper yet to see the official times. I still don't believe there are official trick-or-trick hours, but I hear it will be in the paper....weird.

We got our little fix of the south this weekend and went to Uncle Julio's. It's a bit of a drive, but so worth it. We just can't find Mexican food here like Texas. Thank goodness for Julio's in Chicago to keep us from getting homesick!

Nothing else too exciting this weekend, just lots of dance and soccer and more dance. Did I mention that the whole fam-dam-ily is going to be in the Nutcracker?!? Brett and I are party parents, Maddi is a tumbling jester and a rose petal and Cade is a party boy and a gingerbread. Cade REALLY wanted to be in the Nutcracker and it was hard for us to say yes, but we did. The party boy is not dancing, just playing leap frog, bothering the party girls, etc. The gingerbread is a little more dance, but not so much. So, get your tickets now to see the McDonald's live on stage in the Nutcracker!!! Oh, the things we do for our kids.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW all the McDonalds in the play, we may have to get tickets for that one! Is Cade wearing tights? If so I just can't picture it! :)

And yes our trick or treat is from 4-7 but is on the Sunday before Halloween, which would be even more strange for you I am sure! Never heard of getting boo'd. Will look into that one!

And Uncle Julio's yum!! I need to make that drive. Have not had good Mexican food since we left Ttexas.

-EBD

S, J, B, & S said...

Hi Pam ~ Apparently people in my neighborhood "boo" each other ... we haven't been boo'd (probably b/c we don't know our neighbors!), but I have heard people talking about it. Such fun for the kiddos ... although ours is still a little too young!

pam said...

No, Cade will not be wearing tights, neither will Brett or myself!!! Pics to come later and they will be worth a few laughs, I'm sure.....